Every website requires 3 basic components; HTML (and probably other) files, hosting, and a domain name. Since we’ve gone over the other topics already, today I wanted to talk about domain names.
How to Purchase a Domain Name
- In general you want PROJECTNAME.com
- Namecheap is a good place to buy your domain
- Domains typically cost around $15 a year
- You don’t need to auto renew
- If you think you may want a domain it’s much easier to buy it now, and then let it expire, than to find out later someone has already taken it.
What to do after you register a Domain
- Register social media accounts with the same name
- Again, it’s easier to register them and not use them, then to need them and find they’re already taken.
- Put up a simple landing page while you work on your website
- Use WWW. as the canonical version of your domain
- Set up SSL
- This adds the HTTPS in front and helps secure your website
- Lets Encrypt is a good, free option
- What’s up with your email?
- Want a professional NAME@PROJECTNAME.com email address?
- Google Workspace is the way to go with plans starting at $6 a month
This is a brief overview of the basics. If you’d like me to explain any of this further, or there is something else you’d like me to cover, please contact me any time.